Proclamations are ceremonial documents to honor, celebrate or create awareness of an event or significant issue. They may be issued for:
- Public awareness
- Charitable fundraising campaigns
- Non-profit organizations
- Arts and cultural celebrations
- Special honors, determined by Mayor
Proclamations will not be issued for:
- For profit businesses, as an advertisement or commercial promotion
- Matters of political or religious nature
- Events or organizations with no direct relationship to the City of Carlsbad
- Campaigns or events contrary to city policies
- The Mayor’s office reserves the right to approve or decline any proclamation request and to edit the drafted material for final wording.
- All proclamation requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- An organization can request only one proclamation annually.
- A certificate of recognition or congratulatory letter is an alternative where the criteria for a proclamation are not met.
Who can make a proclamation request?
- Requests must be made by a City of Carlsbad resident or employee.
How do you request a proclamation?
- All requests must be made in writing via email, hand-delivered, faxed or sent by U.S. mail.
- Each request should be made 30 days in advance of the date the proclamation is needed.
What should be included in the request?
- Please provide a contact person’s first and last name, phone number, home address and email address.
- Provide a brief summary of the event or organization.
- Provide a specific name and date for the day, week or month or event to be proclaimed.
- Provide the exact date the proclamation is needed.
- Each request must include a draft text of the proclamation, including four to five “whereas” clauses.
- Provide a mailing address to send the final proclamation or indication of whether it will be picked up.
- Proclamations must fit on a single page and be in 12 point font, with room remaining for the Mayor’s signature.
If you have a question, please contact the City Council secretary at 760-434-2830. Direct requests may be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, via fax to 760-720-9461 or in writing to:
Carlsbad City Hall
1200 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92008