Skip navigation links


What is not a code violation?

In general, the city acts on behalf of the public at large - it does not take action on behalf of one resident against another. In other words, the city does not handle neighbor disputes or civil problems that do not violate public law. These types of situations are a private matter between the two property owners, and the city has no jurisdiction. Also, Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) are not enforced by the city. Mediation services such as the nonprofit North County Lifeline and San Diego Mediation Center can be helpful in resolving disputes, Additional information can be found on their websites at or

For further information about code violations, please call 760-602-2703 during regular business hours.


When is a building permit needed?

Building under constructionA building permit is required before constructing, enlarging, altering, repairing, or demolishing a building or structure, including electrical, mechanical and plumbing work. To determine if the work requires a permit, call the building counter during regular business hours at 760-602-2717 or 760-602-2718. Another source of information is the Carlsbad Municipal Code CMC 18.04.015.

Business License

Can a business operate without a business license in Carlsbad?

The City of Carlsbad requires all businesses that wish to commence, carry on, or engage in any business, either permanently or temporarily, within the corporate limits of the city to have a valid license. Please read the frequently asked questions (FAQ) and important information for new businesses prior to applying for a business license or contact the Finance Department at 760-602-2495


How long can a vehicle be parked in the street?

Community Police OfficerA vehicle may be parked on a public street for 72 hours. Cars parked longer than 72 hours are subject to citations and towing at the owner's expense. To report an abandoned vehicle please call 760-931-2289. For additional information call the Police Department, Traffic Division at 760-931-2106.

Can a recreational vehicle or boat/trailer be parked in a driveway?

No. Carlsbad Municipal Code21.44.060(2) allows recreational vehicles, boats and trailers to be parked in the side or rear yard of the property observing all front yard setbacks.

Can an inoperable car be parked in a driveway?

No. Inoperable, wrecked or dismantled vehicles may not be parked/stored in the driveway. However, no more than two inoperable vehicles may be parked in the rear or side yard while being repaired or restored, provided they are screened from the public right-of-way. For more information regarding inoperable vehicles please see Carlsbad Municipal Code 21.44.060(3).

Animals - barking dogs

If a neighbor's dog barks all hours of the day and night, can the city help?

The City of Carlsbad contracts for animal control services through the County of San Diego Department of Animal Services. The County of San Diego Department of Animal DogServices provides dog licensing and animal control services not only for the City of Carlsbad but also for the cities of Del Mar, Encinitas, San Diego, Santee and Solana Beach, as well as for the unincorporated areas of San Diego County.

If it appears a dog is barking because it is suffering or is in distress, contact the County of San Diego Department of Animal Services North County emergency number at 760-438-1460. If the dog (or other animal) does not appear to be in distress, complaints about barking or other animal noise in the City of Carlsbad may be reported to 760-438-2312.

Should dogs be on a leash on public or other private property?

Yes, dogs must be restrained by a hand-held leash, no longer than 6 feet in length. For more information on animal restraints please call the San Diego County Animal Services at 858-694-3900, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or go to their website at

Tenant / Landlord Issues

Does the city provide help if a landlord is not making all necessary repairs to a rental unit?

Code Enforcement will only provide assistance if the concern is a life /safety issue.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs provides a handbook, California Tenants: A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities with helpful information to assist in such matters. Publications can be ordered by calling the Department of Consumer Affairs' Publications Hotline at 866-320-8685 or 800-952-5210, or go to their website at: for additional resources and information.

Insects / Rodents

Who can help with rodents, insects and mosquitoes?

The County of San Diego Vector Control Division can be reached at 858-694-2888 or for additional information

Mold Complaints

Does the City inspect mold?

No, the city does not have any testing equipment to verify if the mold is hazardous. All mold complaints should be reported to San Diego County Health Department at 858-505-6903 or for further information the website is

Contact Information

Code Compliance
760-602-8560 fax

1200 Carlsbad Village Drive
Carlsbad, CA  92008

General Information

Business hours
Monday Thursday
7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
8 a.m. 5 p.m.

Closed holidays and weekends