Pandemic flu differs from the seasonal flu: pandemic flu involves a new virus for which vaccines have not yet been developed and for which anti-virals may not be effective. Pandemics are also characterized by global spread of the novel virus.
Best practice strategies for mitigating viral transmission
Recommendations for personal hygiene
- Cover up when coughing or sneezing.
- Wash hands frequently, and use hand sanitizers.
- Sanitize work surfaces often.
- Avoid sharing personal items.
- Avoid shaking hands.
- Wash clothes frequently.
- Dispose of trash frequently.
- Use a mask properly when recommended.
- Avoid non-critical hospital visits.
Recommendations for public areas
- Increase facility and equipment cleaning.
- Cancel meetings.
- Close the office.
- Cancel public events.
- Limit the use of public transportation.
- Promote telecommuting.
Learn about San Diego County's strategies for handling pandemic flu outbreaks.