The Fire Service has many different disciplines, from fire prevention and fire investigation, to fire suppression. Within Fire Suppression there are municipal, state, and federal fire departments.
There are several potential avenues to pursue to become a firefighter. Some San Diego County resources are listed in the resources section.
Minimum qualifications for a Carlsbad firefighter
- 18 years old
- High school diploma
- Valid California driver’s license
- Valid California paramedic license and EMT-P accreditation with County of San Diego EMS.
- California Fire Academy Certification or completion of accredited academy.
- U.S. citizen or in process of obtaining citizenship
Desirable education and skills
- Class A or B drivers license
- Associates degree AA/AS
- Bachelor degree BA/BS
- Fire science certifications
- Prior paramedic experience