Before the Fire
How to prepare
- Sit down with family to pre-plan fire emergency actions and fire prevention activities.
- History has shown that wildland fires can happen so suddenly and with such intensity that the available firefighting forces are overwhelmed.
- Often there have not been enough firefighters to protect every structure.
- The fate of a home and personal property can rest upon fire prevention and pre-fire planning.
- Wood shingles roofs are NO LONGER PERMITTED on the new construction or on replacement roofs.
- The City of Carlsbad has established standards regulating roofing materials.
- The replacement of existing roofs with fire retardant roofing materials is now required as replacement becomes necessary and on all new structures.
- Although some fire retardant materials designed for application to existing wood roofs have been demonstrated to provide a high degree of fire resistance, home owners should be aware that long term fire protection is not guaranteed and additional treatment may be required periodically.