Business Owner Checklist
Follow these self-inspection guidelines to decrease the chances of a destructive fire. Remember, fire safety inspections focus on maintaining a safe work environment and keeping businesses in business.
- A minimum of one, 2A10BC fire extinguisher is required to be installed in every business.
- One fire extinguisher may serve a maximum of 6,000 square feet and be spaced not more than 75 feet from any location in the business.
- Fire extinguishers should be easily accessible, wall mounted between three to five feet from floor.
- Extinguishers installed in commercial and multi-family buildings must be serviced and tagged annually by a licensed contractor.
- No obstructions are allowed around standpipes, fire hose cabinets, sprinkler valves and hydrants.
- Keep designated fire lanes around the business, clear at all times.
- If required to have a smoke alarm, test it monthly and replace the batteries once a year.
- Make sure address numbers and letters are clearly visible from the street.
- Remove combustibles, trash and other debris from around the building's exterior.
- Keep storage, furnishings and merchandise three feet (3') away from heat producing equipment to minimize fire risk.
- Maintain two feet (2') of clearance between stored materials and the ceiling and eighteen inches (18") below sprinkler heads.
- Keep storage orderly and secure so exits from the building will not be blocked.
- Repair holes in walls; replace ceiling panels and other breaches where portions of walls or ceilings have been damaged to maintain the fire resistive integrity of the building's original construction.
- Three feet (3') of clear space is required in front of every exit door. The exit may not be obstructed with storage, trash, shelves, cabinets or equipment.
- Exit doors may not be equipped with any kind of deadbolt or latch which requires the use of a key or any special knowledge or effort to open the door from the inside.
Flammable Liquids and Hazardous Materials
- Excessive storage of flammable or combustible liquids must be removed from all businesses. Businesses are only allowed to keep up to ten gallons (10 gal) for maintenance, operations, demonstration, treatment and other types of laboratory work.
- Flammable and combustible liquids may only be stored in their original or approved containers.
- Compressed gas cylinders must be adequately secured to prevent them from falling or being knocked over. Each cylinder must be labeled with its contents.
- Extension cords cannot be used permanently in any business in the City of Carlsbad.
- Only UL or FM listed fused or circuit breaker surge suppressors may be used for non-permanent appliances like calculators, desk lamps, typewriters and computers.
- Large fixed appliances like refrigerators, table saws and other large equipment cannot be used with extension cords or power cords.
- Extension cords and fused electrical cords cannot be permanently attached to walls, floors or ceilings.
- No wiring or cords may extend through walls, ceilings, floors or under doors.
- Replace worn or frayed wires to minimize fire hazard.
- All electrical receptacles must have cover plates.
- Thirty inches (30") of unobstructed access area is required in front of electrical panels.