All Carlsbad City Library locations offer Internet-accessible computers and a free wireless Internet signal. Use of the computers and software is free and is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Children's Internet computers
All three Carlsbad libraries offer computers with Internet access designated for children and teens. In order to use these computers, the following conditions apply:
- All youth under age 18 must have an Internet and Computer User Agreement signed by a parent or guardian. Parents are responsible for the terms of the Internet and Computer User Agreement whether accompanying their child or not.
- Children under the age of 12 must have a parent remain with them while they use the Internet.
- Children under the age of 13 must use the terminals in the children's area.
- Teens 13 to 17 may use the adult or children's computers.
- Adults may use the children's Internet computers only if they are supervising their child in the children's area.
- Supervising adults must relinquish their computer if youth are waiting to use the Internet.
Read the Carlsbad City Library Computer Policy for more information.
Computers are not equipped with filtering software. Guidelines for Internet safety are available at www.safekids.com.
Software on children's computers
- Microsoft Word 2007
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Excel 2007
- Internet Explorer 7
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Windows Media Player
- Popcap Games (selected computers)
- Black and white and color laser printing is available
- 20¢ per page for black and white
- $1 per page for color
- Wireless printing is not available
- Bring a portable storage device to the Library
- Purchase a USB drive from the Library
- Purchase a CD from the Library
- Email the work to a personal account
Early literacy stations
Each Carlsbad Library location offers early literacy stations geared toward children ages 2-10. These computers contain more than 45 educational software packages spanning seven curricular areas.