Change a life by becoming a volunteer literacy tutor!
Those interested in becoming a volunteer tutor can call Literacy Services at the Carlsbad City Library Learning Center at 760-931-4510.
- Read and write competently in English
- Are at least 21 years old
- Need no previous teaching experience
- Are stable and mature
- Have patience and empathy
- Have good listening skills and a sense of humor
- Are flexible and nonjudgmental
- Are able to learn and use a variety of teaching methods, including computer-assisted instruction (training is provided)
- Attend a two-hour, no-obligation tutor orientation
- Participate in a three-hour tutor training workshop
- Tutor two sessions per week; each session lasts 1 ½ hours
- Spend up to three hours preparing lessons each week
- Make a minimum six-month tutoring commitment
- Attend training workshops to update skills
Please call 760-931-4510 to learn about coming tutor orientations and to register.
- Thursday, Aug. 21, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Sept. 9, noon to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 18, 6 to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 7, noon to 2 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 23, 6 to 8 p.m.